Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Want a good read?


Been looking for something to read? Want something that is going to force you to stay up late into the night desperately craving for more? A book that will force you to skip meals and become utterly anti-social while reading? Well, here you go:




But don't take my word for it. Here are some reviews:

"I have never been so moved by a view of hell. Peck’s hell is no brimstone, fire, and burnings – a view that has never been meaningful to me nor one that has instilled any fear in me. In contrast, Peck’s hell does both of those things. This view of hell appears, at first blush, as an almost pleasant place where the inhabitant has a well-defined and seemingly manageable task after which she is allowed to move on – hence the title, “A Short Stay in Hell.” And yet, this hell produced in me a frozen hopelessness that I could not shake even weeks after finishing the book. I fear this hell. I fear it with my whole being. Maybe it was because of the initial sense of the task’s manageability that I ultimately felt such a deep sense of despair. This is story telling at its finest. This is fiction that penetrates to the core.”

"I have never read anything that has given me such a profound sense of what ‘eternity’ might actually entail, or that has soured me so completely on the merits of ‘eternal life.’ I do not mean to paint the novel as negative or depressing so much as thoughtful and insightful. The concept of hell that is developed in this story becomes a metaphor for exploring what matters most in life (whether it be mortal or immortal): love, companionship, meaning, and purpose. The result for me has been a deeper appreciation for the opportunities my present life affords, let the eternities bring what they may…” 

“There are only a few books I’ve read that have truly changed the way I look at life, and this is one of them." 

"Peck has done such a phenomenal interpretation of the human condition and spirit in this poetic rendition of Hell.” 

“The central conceit is brilliant and there’s a real sense of pathos for our author’s desperate attempts to find and maintain human connections in an ageless place. I read it in one setting, desperate to find out if hell has an End. Peck has a real flair for capturing the yearnings of the human spirit, hell-bound or no.” 

This is easily one of the very best books I have ever read. Ever!! (Which is why I've read it eight times)!

No comments:

Post a Comment