Saturday, February 26, 2011

So Close, Yet So Far Away

Been there, done that. People talk about the Moon like it was a thing of the past. As if it were some very accessible island we once visited but choose not to return because some felt there was nothing there of value. It's been 39 years since we last visited the moon. We've spent less than 15 days on the surface exploring very small areas. The cost got in the way of any further missions and even if we did have the money, we don't have the rocket to get there. Many of the blue prints that made up the Saturn V rocket have been lost. Who knows how that happened.

Celestial bodies are not so far away for some of us. I got a nice 6 inch reflector telescope for my birthday two years ago. I'm not the best astrophotographer in the world and I don't have the best equipment for the job, but I have managed to capture some pretty cool photos of the lonely surface of our closest neighbor. Check it out. Click on the images for full size photos.



7 comments:

  1. I had read an article that we are looking to send more people to the moon by 2015, (or start preparations for lunar trip then). And they're estimating that a Mars mission happen in 2030. I hope, but am a little skeptical. My biggest hope is for companies like Space X to keep doing what they are doing. They've already launched a satellite in orbit on their FIRST try. They very well could be who we look to in regards to space travel, not NASA.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We won't be sending anyone to the moon by 2015. We will decide on a design for a heavy lift rocket by 2015 but it probably won't be ready to fly until the mid 2020's. Space X has actually partnered with a company trying to win the Goggle lunar prize. They will send a probe to the moon on a Space X rocket to take photos of the surface and detect areas with water. There are over 20 teams doing the same thing. It's exciting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I didn't know that. Time to follow that stuff!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks. I only wish I had a better camera. I had to hold my cheap digital camera up to the eyepiece

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful pictures, Jeff! Looking at them gives me very deep and dreamy feeling...they are so good and "suggestive"...we are so small~!

    ReplyDelete
  6. If you've never had a chance to see the moon through a telescope just ask and we will go out one night and take a look.

    ReplyDelete