Monday, May 23, 2011

What's come before?

As any owner of comics will probably not tell you, the true value of owning a sweet collection is the joy in being able to go back and re-experience what's already happened; to go back into time, essentially, remembering thoughts and feelings that were originally woven into your interaction with any particular story line.

Sometimes, however, going back into time allows you to preview something new out from something old. I have had this opportunity in a little series I like to call Marvel's run of G.I. Joe.

There are 155 total issues (all of which I haven't read, but I'm close...Currently reading #112). These were all written by Larry Hama. How many books out there were able to maintain the original creator during the whole run? Even Chris Clairemont of X-men '80's fame didn't maintain the X-men for their entire stint (seeing how they are still an on-going series).

Of course, all this is really in preparation of reading G.I. Joe's current run, published by IDW. They have relaunched the series, true, and I'm curious to see what they have going on with the Cobra Civil War (as Marvel recently did something with that, and a Cobra Civil War was in the original series), but also because they have Larry Hama continuing where he left the Marvel published series, starting with issue 156.

I am so excited about this, I'll probably even skip the Devil's Due Publishing run (which all fans only consider an alternate dimension anyway). We'll see how it all fits in when we get there.

Ask me to tell you how sometime, as this is the digital age, and it's time to be digitally impressive.

No comments:

Post a Comment