Friday, April 15, 2011

The Greats

Over the course of comic book history, in many companies, there comes a story that is so fantastic, you have to read it again, and again, and even again until you know this story as well as you know your own. That doesn't stop you from reading it over, because it never stops being enjoyable.

Do you remember when Superman was killed by Doomsday, and from his death there arose a few new superheroes based upon his kind service to man? Steele was born, Superboy, and a couple of nasty villians. I remember the other superheroes coming into Metropolis to pay their respects, and Batman stops a crime. He hangs the guy up on a flag post telling him he's doing it Superman's way instead of kicking the crap out of him himself. It's awesome!

Speaking of Batman, how many great stories has come out of that one? Fallen Knight, anyone? Knight's End? Delicious. Cataclysm, No-Man's Land, Bruce Wayne Murderer and Fugitive?

Obviously, Batman is one of my favorite characters, and so many of the story arcs from those books are going to be my favorites. The challenge is to let others know of your favorites. Are you an X-men fan, and can sit down to the Dark Phoenix Saga any night of the week? Or perhaps a Wolverine fan specifically, and pore over his Origin story still the night is long? Do you like my little pithy statements of time elapsement?

For our venerable CAP, I give you Spider-Man's Clone Saga, or one I more prefer, Maximum Carnage! There's even an N64 video game (complete with red cartridge) based off this story! How much better can it be?

If you're not into the mainstream side of things, you can tell us about Transmetropolitan, which I still always read again (if I can wait that long) on an election year. It's futuristic society demands that I pay attention to what's going on in the world. The Truth, no matter what! Do not make the Chair Leg of Truth angry. Do you hear what it says? It says, "Shut up, Fred!"

All comments welcome, for surely you can appreciate art (both written and drawn) in some of its best conveyed forms. Give it a shout out, yo!

1 comment:

  1. Oh, oh man. Clone Saga is where it is at. I think the childhood memories of collecting those gives sentimental value to them, but there are mini series in that saga that are to die for. Maximum Clonage, The death of Ben Reilly. I think my all time favorite is the introduction of The Scarlet Spider. A four part mini-series in which he battles Venom. I can't count how many times I have read those four comics but I haven't found one that had matched it.

    Other not worthy comics: Spider-Man -- Other; Marvel Civil War.

    ReplyDelete